Dear Sophomore Parents,
We hope everyone has had an enjoyable summer and are ready for your student’s second year at Summit High. We wanted to reach out as your class parents and let you know our goal is to help keep you in the loop with important dates and events that will be happening during the upcoming school year.
USEFUL THINGS TO KNOW FOR SOPHOMORE YEAR
Summer Assignments - go to www.summit.k12.nj.us - click on department, click on academics and then click on specific class.
Driver’s Education - during sophomore year every student takes the state required driver’s education courses during gym, for the first quarter. This is a classroom instructed course where the state written test is administered at the conclusion. When your student turns 16, you will use the card they are given in class (SAVE IT) to get a driver’s permit. Permit drivers must then hire a driving instructor to complete the six hours of behind the wheel training that is required to validate the permit. This will be explained in class.
Financial Literacy - a state required-for-graduation course that teaches how to maintain bank accounts, use a checkbook, pay bills, etc. This course is offered as an in-school elective or as an online course over the summer. PLEASE make sure your student discusses with their guidance counselor during spring scheduling to either add it to their schedule for Junior year or sign up for the summer online course.
Please mark your calendar with the following event dates (*PTO Sponsored Events):
- September 28 – Back to School Night – 6:30-9:00 p.m. Come to SHS to meet your child’s teachers and navigate the building.
- September 29 - SHS PTO General Meeting*- 8:30-10:00 a.m. in the SHS Auditorium
- December 8 -SHS PTO General Meeting*- 8:30-10:00 a.m. in the SHS Auditorium
- January 12- SHS PTO General Meeting*- 8:30-10:00 a.m. virtual
- March 5 – Freshman/Sophomore Family Night – 7:00–9:00 p.m in the SHS Auditorium
- March 8- SHS PTO General Meeting*- 8:30-10:00 a.m. in the SHS Auditorium
- March 14- SHS PTO Dad’s Social 7:00-11:00 at the Elk’s Lodge
- April 26- Sophomore Parent Gathering - 9:00-10:30 am
- May 17- SHS PTO General Meeting*- 8:30-10:00 a.m. in the SHS Auditorium.
We hope you’ll get involved, attend the PTO meetings, the socials, and any of the many events at Summit High School!
Please reach out with any questions, comments, or feedback.
- Allie Busam, Brenda Doherty, Jenny Fosgate, Katie Hellings