Hello Senior Parents and Guardians,
We made it! Our students are seniors, and we look forward to a fun year. The full calendar is online at https://www.summit.k12.nj.us/schools/summit-high-school/shs-calendar?cal_date=2023-08-01, but there is a lot happening senior year, so we wanted to give you a few highlights of what to expect:
· Senior Pictures - Peter Wallburg Studios on Beechwood Road in Summit should have emailed you over the summer with an appointment for your student’s senior portrait. If not and you would like to have one done, please contact them at 908-277-2078. There is a sitting fee for this service.
· College Rep Visits – These begin mid-September. Students will be notified by the guidance department and can sign up in Naviance.
· College Application Workshops – These are going on now and will continue throughout the fall. Weekly emails are sent with the schedule, which is also on the Naviance home page. No registration is required! Remind your students to check emails regularly and reference the Naviance homepage for all college planning resources.
· Senior Days – Most sports recognize seniors so try to make it senior day if your child is involved. Time to enjoy the spotlight with your child!
· Senior Athletic Celebration – This is scheduled for May 7, 7:30-9:30pm, for seniors who have participated in at least one sport during the year as an athlete, manager, or statistician, and their parents/guardians. Keep an eye out for the invite and the RSVP date. The slideshow is not to be missed!
· Lunches – Seniors are allowed to go “off campus” for lunch and unassigned that fall in certain time slots; however, there are restrictions. Your student needs to have met the requirements before they leave including parent or guardian permission—check Genesis for details.
· Senior Parent Social – A fun evening in the spring for the senior parents to socialize. The location, date, and time will be communicated later in the year.
· Other Senior Events – Toward the end of the year, it will seem like there are dozens of senior items, including a senior banquet (on the calendar for May 30, at Embassy Suites in Berkeley Heights), graduation lawn signs, the fun flamingo tradition, and of course graduation itself, scheduled for the evening of Tuesday, June 18. More communications will be coming about these, but feel free to ask any of us about them.
Other Important Dates:
· The first PTO General Meeting - Friday, September 29, at 8:30am in the auditorium.
· Senior Family Night & Financial Aid - Wednesday, September 27, from 6:30 - 8pm in the auditorium. The first part will include a presentation by members of the Counseling Department. At 7:15, there will be a Financial Aid presentation given by a member of the College of New Jersey’s Financial Aid Department.
· Back-to-School Night - Thursday, September 28, from 6:30 - 9pm.
· Senior Parent Event – Monday, May 6, 7 - 9pm. Principal Stacy Grimaldi will discuss all the events for seniors leading up to graduation. A packet with information will be sent home to parents sometime after spring break.
Our Senior Parent Coffee is Friday September 22 at 9:00 at the home of Rachel Callahan –
31 Little Wolf Road – hope to see you there! We wish you and your students a great year ahead and look forward to seeing you at SHS events and happenings! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact any of us.
The Class of 2024 Senior Class Parents,
January Hagan, Judith McCarthy, Melissa Miller, Maria Orgeira-Osorio